Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Are you ready for some football?

Because I sure am.
Don't get me wrong - summer is my favorite season by far (especially now that I'm a teacher, let's be real.)
And I don't ever like to wish time away. 
But I am getting pretty excited about my second favorite season: football season.

Now, before I go any further, let me set the record straight.
I don't consider myself a football fanatic at all.
And I'm definitely no football expert (Robbie still has to explain almost every play to me.)

But I still love it. 

I grew up an NC State fan (both my parents graduated from there) and I went to many games as a wee child. 
{I think there's some story involving a diaper change on a tailgate?}

My brother played football from the time he was old enough to wear the helmet all the way through high school. 

He wasn't actually playing at this age - but isn't he presh?

He's number 91

Impressive right? I'm a proud big sis.


I cheered in middle and high school (6 years total) and loved it.

Middle School (Go Grizzlies!!)

High School (Go Bears!!)


Robbie played football all through high school.


And coached a little in college. {He's hoping to find a head coaching job in the next 5-10 years.}

Isn't he cute?


So by nature, we're going to be a little obsessed. Football's in our blood. It's all we've ever known. I couldn't imagine fall without it. 

Sure, the sport itself is great. High-action, big plays, blah, blah, blah.
But for me, it's all the other things that are associated with football that make it near and dear to my heart.

Football teams are like family. And I love seeing that camaraderie on the field. 
I also love the team spirit it evokes. Maybe that's the cheerleader in me, but I love getting behind a team and supporting them 100%. 

Clearly, Robbie feels the same way. 

And don't even get me started on team rivalries.
I. Love. Them. 
Every good football fan has a good rivalry (with maybe even a little trash talking involved.)

Yes, we are a house divided. 

Even though we went to two different schools, we don't mind sporting each others' colors. (As long as we're not playing each other.) It's still football after all. 



But of course, my most favorite part of football season would definitely have to be the tailgate. 





Yes, it absolutely necessary to head out to a game 6 hours early, set up some cornhole, and pop a cold one. In my opinion, tailgating is the event. Sure, the game's great, but the tailgate is essential. 

And when hosting a good tailgate, your philosophy should always be: 
go big, or go home.

Grills, TVs, football themed treats, I've seen it all and yes, it is 100% necessary.

37 days till college football kickoff y'all!

Hugs,

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this got me all excited about football season! I may have to go watch Friday Night Lights again, ha. By the way, thank you for all the comments you've been leaving on my blog. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh I love Fall football games. I am in school to become a teacher and that is one thing I am so excited about is going to the high school football games! I was on the dance squad in high school so the sporting events were such a big deal to us too and I miss them so much! And I love a good tailgate for a KC Chiefs game! Can't beat sitting in a parking lots with your best friends and beer ;)

    Annie

    ReplyDelete