Monday, October 1, 2012

My Very First Big Fat Catholic Wedding

Well folks, the weekend was quite the success
if I do say so myself.
And I was able to get one thing crossed off the good ole bucket list.
However, it was one thing I didn't even know what on my bucket list.

Friday night, I attended my very first Catholic wedding.

I know, I know. 
How sheltered am I, that it took me 23 years to attend 
a Catholic wedding ceremony?
No one's more surprised than you.

Especially, because it was the coolest freaking thing I've ever been to.

Friday after school, Robbie and I got all dolled up
and headed down to Wilmington.


I, of course, wore my most favoritest dress.
The one I've worn to the past three wedding/events I've gone to.
No big deal. 
Found forever ago at H&M.

As soon as we got to the church, 
I started making a mental list of all the reasons why
I was utterly amazed. 
Obviously, so I could report back to all of you.


{1}
The church was absolutely beautiful. 
Not that big of a surprise,
because most Catholic churches are.
But, honestly, look at that view. 
Simply breathtaking.


{2}
The priest, who was the cutest little old man I've ever seen,
(he kind of reminded me of a Pixar character)
started the ceremony by saying that in the Catholic church,
wedding ceremonies were led by the bride and groom.
The priest was merely there to oversee and guide them through
their spiritual connection and promise to each other.
Pretty cool idea.
He also said that, once you were married,
you became responsible for teaching the word of the Lord 
to your children and helping each other grow in your faith.
He said he wasn't impressed with people who could 
simply recite Bible verses, but instead 
we should all strive to deeply understand what those verses are really saying
and to live by those words. 
Makes sense to me. 

Beautiful wedding party.

{3}
One of the first readings was from Sirach 26:1-4.
I hadn't even heard of what Sirach was. 
But it said, "happy is the husband of a good wife, 
the number of his days will be doubled."
Truth.
And don't you forget it fellas.

{4}
The bridal party (bride and groom included) get to sit down.
Which is a good thing, 
because it's true what they say....Catholic ceremonies are pretty long.

{5}
They sang two of my favorite praise and worship songs
during communion. 
(Okay, I know, this has nothing to do with
Catholic ceremonies in general, but I thought it was pretty cool.
And girlfriend could sing.)

{6}
There was a gallon size bottle of hand sanitizer
by one of the alters.

Flu season is quickly approaching after all.

One hour and 13 minutes later, 
they were pronounced man and wife,
the bride was kissed,
and the trolly was waiting.
It was reception time. 
Which, of course, was a blast.





My love thing.

Brand new Mr. & Mrs. 
Excuse the crappy iPhone pictures. It's only an iPhone 4. It can't help it.

Congratulations Monica and Shawn!!

Speaking of hand sanitizer and flu season,
my sweet husband has a runny nose and sore throat.
Which means I better learn how to be domestic 
and make him some soup. 
Because we all know how the man cold can be. 

Just kidding honey.


Hugs,



P.S. Mom, don't worry, just because I loved my first Catholic wedding,
doesn't mean I'm converting. I'm still a proud Protestant. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment