Thursday, September 12, 2013

Hey Mr. DJ, Put a Record On

I love music.
Not nearly as much as Helene.
But I'd like to consider myself pretty close.
I listen to a wide variety of music, to say the least.
Honky tonk country all the way to vulgar, sexist rap.
I. Love. It. All.

I'm also a firm believer that music can completely change your mood.
And I usually make my music choices based on the mood I'm in, or the mood I hope to be in.

I have a 30 minute commute to and from work each day.
To a lot of you, this may not seem like a lot.
But to me, the girl who grew up literally five minutes away from everything,
30 minutes one way is a longggg drive.

Fortunately I have the best carpooling buddy ever!
So we usually spend the ride chatting, laughing, bitching.
But on the off chance that I have to make the drive alone,
I usually find some stellar tunes to jam out to.

After a particularly long, hard day Lil Wayne or something equally as ghetto is what I turn to.
Being able to turn up the subwoofer and yell explicatives at the top of my lungs is the best feeling ever after a long work day. Especially when it's been one of those days where I have to be extra sweet and soft spoken.

"High School" Lil Wayne is always my favorite.
In fact, listening to songs from late high school/early college period is my favorite.

I love going back to that time in my life.
And what better way to time travel, than to listen to a really great song.

I've compiled a list (I don't know how to create an actual playlist, so Grooveshark will have to do) of some of my favorite songs - songs that I can listen to over and over again and not get tired of. Songs that stir up a variety of memories that make me all warm and fuzzy inside for lots of different reasons.

FYI: I limited the list to 5 but could have gone on and on for hours.


Lollipop (feat. Static Major) by Lil Wayne on Grooveshark

Hands down, the best Lil Wayne song everrrr.
Second only to the remix. 



I feel like this song was written for me.
Even though I'm not sure I completely understand what American Honey is.


Picture to Burn by Taylor Swift on Grooveshark

This song takes me back to when I could actually tolerate Tay Tay.
And when me and my best friends would drive around town with the windows rolled down
screaming singing these lyrics to every boy that ever did us wrong.


And every white girl screamed, "OMG this is my jam".
But really, I love this song. I always will.
And I will always think of LC and Steven singing it on Laguna Beach.



This whole CD has a special place in my heart.
Anytime I hear any of these songs, I'm taken back to high school beach trips with Robbie.
Driving around without the doors on the jeep,
drinking yahoos and more chips and salsa than we could keep track of.
The best.


Okay but really, I don't want to stop here.
I have so many more that pull on my heart strings in happy/sad/OMG dance party ways that I think I may just go relive my entire iTunes library for the rest of the night!


Now it's your turn to take a walk down memory lane.
Go link up with Helene and share the special to your heart songs.

Helene in Between




Hugs,

5 comments:

  1. I feel ya, girlfriend. I have a 30 minute commute too and that is the best time to jam out! YES, Lil Wayne and hardcore rap are the best ways to de-stress on the way home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way - I listen to a little bit of everything, and love the songs that you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. agreed, that is the best lil wayne song ever. thanks so much for linking uP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the same way about American Honey.. I feel like it is my theme song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I totally forgot about lil Waynes Lollipop I used to be obsessed with that song!
    Great song choices.
    Gi
    xx

    ReplyDelete