Wednesday, May 21, 2014

You Live You Learn

Well folks. Go ahead and cross one more thing off the ole bucket list. Kind of...

I experienced my first overnight hospital slumber party earlier this week. And if I didn't feel like a big kid before, I definitely do now.

Remember that bad back Robbie's been dealing with? Well we finally went in and got that sucker fixed right on up.


The past week has been an emotional roller-coaster to say the least. And I've learned a lot over the course of the past few days.

For example, waking up at 3AM for anything should be illegal.

When the nurse asks you if you're allergic to anything, they typically just mean medical related stuff. However, if you feel the need to tell everyone that you're allergic to cats (as my sweet husband did) that's okay too. It's better to share too much instead of too little.

Cafeterias are great. I don't care who you are. There are so. many. choices.

Apparently I get little tiny pimples on my neck when I'm really stressed. (Or from eating all that cafeteria food.)

Nurses are really nice people (I already knew this, but it was validated this week) and they try really hard to let you sleep. Everyone that had to come in overnight was very apologetic.

I'm a lot calmer than I give myself credit for. I didn't freak out, once. It was my job to be strong. So that's what I did. And yes, I'm tooting my own horn about it.

Sport Center comes on all the time.

It's okay if you want to pack your childhood teddy in your hospital bag. You just never know.



The love and support of our friends and families is so overwhelmingly great. Seriously, I love our people.

God has a plan. Always. Even when you don't understand it. Even when you think it sucks. He has one. Try not to forget that.

I am so incredibly blessed to have Robbie in my life. No one plans for the "sickness" part of a marriage, especially at 25. Especially when it's a sickness that involves IVs and monitors and anesthesia and helping them out of bed to go potty (just being real). And it's hard and it's scary. But y'all it's eye-opening. And the commitment is unquestionable. And it's a lot less hard and less scary knowing we have each other.

We've both got a long road ahead with recovery before things are completely back to normal. But he's already feeling so much better and I know without a doubt this was the right call. I also, for the first time in a while, no without a doubt that we'll be just fine!




Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts, prayers, and Instagram love. I know I've been MIA from this little part of the internet lately, but I'm still feeling the blog love and I can't thank y'all enough for that!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! I hope Robbie is on the road to recovery. And I think your hospital stow away was absolutely appropriate to have along with you. Sending wishes for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, praying for y'all - tell Robbie that I've heard rum cures any ailment for Pirates :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweet friend. The sickness part of marriage is so hard but you will be so much stronger on the other side of this! Please let me know if we can do anything--or if you guys need some extra hands! You're not far and I'm an excellent care taker--or at least I know how to clean a house while you guys sleep ;) <3 Prayers for a quick recovery for sure!

    ReplyDelete