Monday, July 7, 2014

I love America

Disclaimer: I really had every intention of blogging everyday last week but obviously that didn't happen. I'm trying, I promise.

I wanted to recap our trip to Mexico because I still haven't done that and I think it would be good for the whole grieving process I'm currently going through as I withdrawal from unlimited drinks, food, and sunshine. However, after such a patriotic weekend it didn't seem quite right to pay tribute to another country. No worries, that will happen tomorrow.

~

July 4th.
I have such a love/hate relationship with this holiday.
Obviously I love America and I love any excuse to eat hot dogs and drink beer and enjoy all of the other freedoms I'm able to because of the selfless people who put their lives on the line for little ole me.
But living so close to the beach and smack dab between two rivers I kind of hate the hoards of people that flock to the pool/beach/dock on July 4th. It's a tad overwhelming.
Also, my history-loving husband looooooves to focus on every technicality that comes with this holiday, sucking the fun out of all of it.



Either way....I can hang with the best of them, which is exactly what we did.

I braved the 3908457 splashing kids at the pool Friday afternoon. Then Robbie and I met up with some friends out in the "country". Something about July 4th makes me want to be around big, open fields.
After meeting their four pet chickens and learning about egg fertilization, we enjoyed hamburgers on the grill, corn hole in the backyard, and shut gunned beers on the porch. #merica.


Saturday we rearranged our living room (I'm on a kick and can't get enough) then met up with some friends at the pool (with only one totes adorbs splashing kid) before scooting back down the county with my dad to enjoy a low country boil with cousins. After everyone else went off to watch fireworks, Robbie and I headed back into town to meet up with some friends for cards, beer, and lots of laughs. And pretzels...we ate a lot of pretzels.


Sunday was a pretty laid back day. My mom and step-dad have recently sold their house and are now going through the never-ending process of cleaning out and packing up 22 years and one blended family's worth of stuff. It is being quite the chore and all hands are on deck so I spent some time Sunday afternoon helping with that. Let me tell you...the stuff we've found could be a blog post in and of itself. It's been interesting to say the least.

Now here we are, Monday again. And I've created a long list of "to-dos" for the week. "Watch Netflix"  is not on it. Time to be a productive member of society again. We'll see how it goes.



2 comments:

  1. I wish we lived so much closer. Your weekends and outings and holidays always sound EXACTLY like what J and I like to do, but have no one to do it with here!! I'm so glad you had a nice, long weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmm on the seafood boil, it is my favorite! Country weekends are the best.

    ReplyDelete